Skip to main content

PA School Interview Tips!

These are some interview points I shared with my best friend after she received PA school interviews:

  • Practice your responses out loud. Practice with a friend or by yourself. I used to talk to myself by practicing in the car and in front of the mirror. It felt crazy at times, but it helped me develop my flow and transitions.

  • Research interview formats/schedules. The main interview can be structured as a group interview, MMI (multiple mini interviews), or traditional one-on-one. There are often extra activities in addition to the interview, like a writing component or group activity.

  • Review common interview questions and have your answers prepped, like:
    • Your strengths and weaknesses
    • Why do you want to be a PA and how would you describe the role?
    • Ethical questions
    • Tell me about a time… Have stories ready to tell.
    • Why this school/city/town?
    • For more interview questions check out the book "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview" by Rodican. This book also provides a format for how to structure answers, which will help you avoid the common mistake of rambling

  • Research the school and understand how you fit with their values. Look at their mission statement, history, and curriculum. I would also become familiar with the faculty, whether it be their interests or previous work experience.

  • Be kind. Be kind to everyone you meet, not just your interviewer. Acknowledge the other applicants as future classmates instead of competition.

  • Take initiative to stand out especially if its behind a computer screen. It can be difficult over Zoom or in-person interviews to speak up when so many others are trying to shine, but it’s important to be confident in your experiences and know you’re just as qualified.

  • Be yourself. I know it sounds cliché, but you are unique and it’s your individuality that will make your story memorable.

  • If the interview is in-person, become familiar with the campus, including the parking locations and building you'll be in. If you can't take an extra day to arrive early, identify these on the school's online campus map.

I love mentoring pre-PA applicants. My best friend was recently accepted into PA school and I’m so excited we’ll have the same career path. We literally do everything together 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Survival Tips for Emergency Medicine Rotation

My first rotation was Emergency Medicine. Although I had previous experience working in an ER as a scribe, I was extremely nervous and wanted a systematic method to assess each case. Below I've included what I found to be my favorite approach to patients in order to determine the level of care they require. I also included some thoughts and tips for making your emergency medicine rotation a success. Vitals - I found it helpful to always check the patient's vital signs before entering the room to meet them . Vital sign assessment is a simple step that can indicate a patient's level of acuity.  Chief Complaint - It is important to check the patient's chief complaint because it helps drive your differential diagnoses. It also helps prepare you for what you encounter, as long as you have a wide differential and consider atypical presentations of illnesses. While it is important to look at a patient's chief complaint, it is not always accurate or relevant to why they

Motivational Medicine

           Hello! Welcome to my blog! My name is Sarah and I am a physician assistant (PA) student. If you don't know what a PA is, there are many resources that adequately explain the profession. I'll probably do a post about it some other time...BUT BASICALLY, I'm studying medicine. My program is 28 months long. The first half is an all-classroom experience and the second half consists of clinicals where I rotate between different specialties and get to care for patients. 2019 was all-classroom training for me. I was in class 8 hours a day - same classroom, same time, same seat, same people. It’s enough to drive anyone insane. Over the course of that year, I had a million breakdowns from constant stress and I began comparing myself to others (even though I was doing fine). Shortly after, I failed an exam by 1 question (this actually happened twice but the first time the exam was curved so I experienced the emotional trauma of failing before I figured out the exam was